SH1 COMMUTER TIMES AND SAFETY IMPROVED
Since the new layout has been in place, travel times have been one to two minutes faster in the peak weekday flow from Murphy Street to The Terrace Tunnel/off-ramp. That’s a big saving over just a few hundred metres and it’s purely because there are fewer vehicles re-entering State Highway 1 from the Hawkestone Street southbound on-ramp.
Safety for pedestrians and cyclists on Hawkestone Street has also improved by reducing the amount of traffic using the morning detour.
Before the new layout, up to 89 vehicles were using the short cut during the 7-9am peak. In the last four weeks of monitoring, this has dropped to an average of five.
After this two-month monitoring period, which confirmed these positive results, the Transport Agency and Wellington City Council aim to carry out work to make the layout permanent in August.
Permanent changes to the road will include:
- Altering the shape of the traffic island on Hawkestone Street so it extends around the entry to the southbound on-ramp. This will mean vehicles can only enter the State Highway 1 on-ramp from Hawkestone Street.
- The traffic island will provide a dedicated on-ramp and westbound/Tinakori Road lane for southbound traffic off Hawkestone Street.
- A new give way intersection on the on-ramp to make merging safer and more efficient;
- raising the central median area next to the on-ramp on Hawkestone Street to create a traffic island and pedestrian refuge; and
- A new pedestrian path across Hawkestone Street so it’s safer and easier to cross.
The coupon parks on Hawkestone Street will also be removed and replaced with one coupon carpark opposite the bus stop on Hawkestone Street.
Other car parks are being investigated as potential sites on Tinakori Road. It’s important we find suitable locations that don’t compromise safety and the access in and out of resident’s properties.
Construction will begin in August and is expected to take around two to three weeks. During construction, crews will be on site from 7pm – 5am. We will inform you of more details on this closer to the time.
With regards to questions on the off-ramp pedestrian crossing, the permanent layout is intended to further decrease traffic volumes using the ramp to ramp short-cut.
We’re also looking into increased safety improvements for pedestrians at the off-ramp. Designs and investigations are progressing on this.
You can view the June 2019 media release here: https://www.nzta.govt.nz/media-releases/sh1-commute-times-cut-following-hawkestone-street-changes/
Parking changes consultation closes 14 August 2019
– have your say.
Wellington City Council are currently consulting on the proposed parking changes as part of the new Hawkestone Street road layout. The proposed parking changes include:
• A removal of five coupon parking spaces to provide space for the left-turn slip lane to SH1.
• One additional coupon parking space to be constructed on the northern side of Hawkestone Street to the east of the SH1 off-ramp.
• No stopping at all times parking restriction on Hawkestone Street.
Consultation closes on 14 August, with a City Strategy Committee decision expected by 12 September.
Please read the document:
And make a formal submission by having your say here:
Permanent construction to start late September/early October
Permanent construction is expected to start in late September or early October, but this is dependent on approval of the City Strategy Committee on the 12 September 2019.
When a date is confirmed, construction is expected to take around two to three weeks with the final layout in place by October 2019.
During construction, crews will be on site from 7pm – 5am. We will inform you of more details on this closer to the time.
For more information on the Hawkestone Street improvements project, visit www.nzta.govt.nz/hawkestone or follow NZ Transport Agency – Wellington on Facebook or Twitter.
Thanks again for your input, patience and understanding while we make Hawkestone Street safer and more efficient for you.
Thanks for your patience and understanding.
Hawkestone Street Project Team
NZ Transport Agency
E / W nzta.govt.nz/hawkestone
P 027 237 5935