The Thorndon Residents’ Association has been collaborating with the Wellington City Council (WCC).
You are invited to register for the Thorndon earthquake briefing, 7PM, Wednesday 5th September at the Kingsgate Hotel (24 Hawkstone Street).
The briefing is for residents living in Thorndon / Pipitea and surrounding areas. The details of the meeting are now on WCC’s website where you can register.
WCC has coordinated with GNS Science to provide this community briefing about earthquakes. The briefing is designed to give you a better understanding of the earthquake risk.
Wellington has already experienced four significant earthquakes since 1840. Our city survived those quakes with minimal casualties. The presenters will talk about what has been learned from these events, what the learnings are from the Canterbury earthquake sequence and what has been revealed by recent research by GNS Science.
The briefings will give you an overview of what has already been achieved to make our city safer and the work that is planned to improve infrastructure resilience.
You will also find out more about what you can do to make sure you and your family are ready for an earthquake and you will have the opportunity to talk to experts about earthquake issues over a cup of tea afterwards.
This is your invitation to the Thorndon Earthquake Briefing, hosted by the Kingsgate Hotel, 24 Hawkestone Street, at 7.00pm on Wednesday 5 September 2012.
Please Register for the briefing session. Entry is free.
If you are unable to register online you can also phone (04) 801 4219 to register.
Please share this information with your family, friends, colleagues and neighbours and invite them to either register for the Thorndon meeting, or another across the city (see below).
WCC and the Thorndon Residents’ Association wish to encourage all Thorndon residents to get a better understanding of the earthquake risk to our community. TRA Members are aware of some of the seismic issues revealed over recent years.
Perhaps these may help frame-up further questions and exploration of the issues that are particularly pertinent to Thorndon residents. What are the questions you would like answered?
There are also other opportunities across the city. Other earthquake briefings will be held on these dates and locations:
· Newtown – 7.30pm, Thursday 30 August (St Anne’s Parish Hall, 22 Emmett Street)
· Thorndon – 7.00pm, Wednesday 5 September (General Public) Kingsgate Hotel, 24 Hawkestone Street
· City – 7.00pm, Tuesday 11 September for Body Corporate members (Ilott Theatre, Wellington Town Hall, Wakefield Street)
· Vogeltown – 7.45pm, Wednesday 12 September (Vogelmorn Hall, 11 Vennell Street)
· Island Bay – 7.30pm, Tuesday 18 September (Island Bay School, Clyde Street)
· Kelburn – 7.30pm, Wednesday 19 September (General Public) Kelburn Normal School Hall, 16 Kowhai Road
· Mount Victoria – 7.30pm, Thursday 27th September (The New Crossways Community Centre, 6 Roxburgh St)
· Karori – 3.00pm, Sunday 30 September (General Public) Victoria University of Wellington Campus, Donald Street
· Tawa – 7.30pm, Wednesday 3 October (General Public) Tawa Community Centre, 5 Cambridge Street
· Kilbirnie – 3.00pm, Sunday 14 October (General Public) Matairangi Room, ASB Sports Centre, 72 Kemp Street
· City – 7.30pm, Thursday 18 October (General Public) Ilott Theatre, Wellington Town Hall, 109 Wakefield Street
· Oriental Bay – 7.30pm, Thursday 25 October (General Public) Royal Port Nicholson Yacht Club, 103 Oriental Parade
· Miramar – 7.30pm, Tuesday 30 October (General Public) Miramar Community Centre, 27 Chelsea Street
· Seatoun – 7.30pm, Wednesday 31 October (General Public) Seatoun School, 59 Burnham Street
· Aro Valley – 7.30pm, Thursday 1 November (General Public) Aro Valley Community Centre, 48 Aro Street